There is nothing more comforting than a warm apple crumble at this time of year and with the abundance of apples we’ve got on the tree it’s a perfect way to use them up. We like to use our quinoa in our crumble topping as it adds great texture and also is a great way to add in some plant protein and extra fibre.
- 3 apples
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries
- ½ cup of nuts (we used hazelnuts and cashews)
- 1 cup of cooked Kiwi Quinoa
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- ½ cup of shredded coconut.
- ⅓ cup of dates (soaked in water and drained)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 heaped tbs of honey
- 3 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil (melted)
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
- To begin with, preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celcius.
- Slice apples and pop in a covered baking dish and cook for 20 minutes until nice and soft.
- In the meantime, in a food processor add the oats, nuts, quinoa, coconut, dates, salt, honey, butter, cinnamon and ginger and blitz until a nice crumble consistency forms.
- Remove the apples from the oven and add in the frozen blueberries. Pop the topping over the fruit and press down until the mixture is evenly coated on top of the fruit.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes (uncovered) until golden brown. Serve with your favourite yoghurt, cream or ice cream.