An Austrian friend of ours baked this for lunch recently and we were going back for thirds! This is a dense and hearty loaf, best served fresh with lashings of butter or toasted the following day!
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ litre warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300g whole wheat flour
- 300g spelt flour
- 100g rye flour
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice (e.g. fennel, coriander, cumin, caraway, thyme)
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (grind first if you prefer)
- ½ cup sunflower seeds (grind first if you prefer)
- 1 cup cooked Kiwi Quinoa
- Mix the yeast, honey and a little bit of the water in a cup together.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (including quinoa) in a bowl. Pour the ‘yeast liquid’ and the ½ litre of warm water over the dry ingredients. Use a spoon to combine the ingredients and then your hands to knead the dough. The dough will be a bit sticky on your hands. This is how it should be!
- Grease and lightly flour a bread tin (24cm x 14cm). Place the dough mixture into greased tin.
- Bake at 180°C in the oven for approximately 45 minutes. Remove from tin onto wire rack to cool. Enjoy!