Every year, a few weeks before Christmas my Mum would always ask my brother and sister and I what we’d like to have for Christmas lunch. This was always my request – Christmas Quinoa. It’s so yummy you’ll go back for seconds and it showcases all the Christmas colours!
- 2 cups dry Kiwi Quinoa (*note – requires 8 to 12 hours soaking before cooking)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 9 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh red chili
- ½ cup drained, finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- ½ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped coriander
- ¼ cup toasted black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine 2 cups Kiwi Quinoa with 6 cups warm water and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Allow to soak in a warm place for 8 to 12 hours.
- In a saucepan, heat the chicken stock.
- Drain and rinse the quinoa thoroughly using a fine mesh sieve.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and garlic, ginger, chilli and quinoa. Sauté for 2 minutes stirring constantly then add the boiling chicken stock.
- Place in ovenproof dish, cover tightly with foil. Cook in oven at 200°C for 20-25 minutes until all liquid has been absorbed. Remove from oven, stir through tomatoes, shallots, coriander, parsley and sesame seeds. Add sesame oil and return to oven for 2 minutes. Stir and serve.